Skip to content

In the vicinity

Former „Pfründnerhaus“ / hospital   22

Franz Josef Kiefer, the vintner of the Margrave of Baden at Staufenberg Castle and staff holder of Durbach-Heimburg, built the house in 1780 as a typical winegrower’s house. After the Durbach municipality acquired the property in 1875, it was used from 1877 as a nursing home and hospital to care for poor, old, and sick villagers (also referred to as ‘Pfründner’ because they had secured permanent accommodation and care by leaving a bequest). Residents were cared for by the Franciscan Sisters of Mercy of Gengenbach Abbey.

When the Gengenbach Abbey recalled the sisters at the end of September 1967, the ‘hospital’ was shut down, and the building was used as a residence for teachers. It has been home to Durbach’s Wine and Local History Museum since 1995.

The remoteness of the Durbach valley meant that other patients from the village also had to be cared for in a dedicated hospital room. The ‘hospital’ was even used for minor surgeries.

WordPress Cookie Notice by Real Cookie Banner