Skip to content

In the vicinity

Former beer cellar                                04

Michele Witsch, an old Russian soldier with a slouch hat and wide coat, was known for more than his fair share of shenanigans here. He would sometimes frighten couples. Michele Witsch’s character was also used to scare children if they didn’t behave – claiming they would have to face him.

On 18 July 1842, happily intoxicated with wine and beer, the contract was sealed at the regular’s table of the old Zum Kreuz inn in Ebersweier. Landowner Sebastian Hube (today, Weingut Andreas Laible) granted Hornung, the beer brewer from Kehl, the right to create a rock-cut cellar. It was perfectly suited for ice storage.

The ice cellar was used until the late 1920s. During the winter months, ice was collected on the Bühlmattwiesen, in the Mühlkanal, and in irrigation streams. Karl Behr, the innkeeper of Bad Staufenberg, stored the beer produced and sold the liquid refreshment during the summer months in front of the ’beer cellar’.

WordPress Cookie Notice by Real Cookie Banner